Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Vacation, Day 1

Today we said so-long to Massachusetts! At left, a picture of the infamous hook of Massachusetts as taken from today's JetBlue flight. Well, I didn't know it was infamous, but I'm from Michigan, so what can you do? For those of you as clueless as I, the hook of Massachusetts is the landmass at the end of Massachusetts that curls around like a hook. Also known as the Cape. (Yes, this is obvious, I know. But I repeat: I am from Michigan!)


A fairly uneventful travel day as far as flying goes for me. We arrived at Logan with plenty of time to do some people-watching, which included this woman and her dog:


You'll notice two things: 1) the picture isn't very good and 2) I have blocked out the rest of the woman's body to preserve her anonymity. Because if I were her, I would be *very* embarrassed to be seen in public with my tiny dog, who was dressed in a tiny pink dress with a pink sparkly leash and was carried onto the plane in a sparkly pink carrier. You might also notice that the woman's pants match her dog's ensemble. Priceless, I say, priceless.


So here we are, all ready to fly. Moments later, we were whisked aboard the plane. Well, I should probably stop and note that "whisked" is perhaps too strong a word; getting on the plane was a process slowed significantly by the TEN people who needed wheelchairs to board. I comment not so much because of any bigotry about people in wheelchairs or about wheelchairs themselves, but only to suggest the insertion of a "you know you're headed to Florida when..." comment here.

I don't have any real pictures from the flight (always find it a bit creepy when others do it, so I abstained), but all in all it was a decent one. I hate flying but can see myself being a fan of JetBlue; other than having to fly literally through Tropical Storm Fay (many expletives uttered during that portion of the flight), there were no hiccups with the flight AND we got a snack and drink for free! Sad that a free drink and snack are a highlight, but such as it is.

Now we are in the greater West Palm Beach area visiting my parents for a few days. The weather here is dark and windy, although the worst of the storm moved north just before our arrival. Tomorrow, we check out some beaches and some of my old haunts. More updates to come.

No comments: